Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Background: Why "Semper Sarah?"


June 2007 - Miramar, CA - my promotion to Captain with some of my friends from the MAG and a mentor. I was so stoked I couldn't keep my eyes open! ;-p
"Semper" has a multiple meanings for me.....
1. For starters, the literal translation of "semper" is always. Beyond that, here's what always means to me...
2. Having spent more than 8 years dedicated to training to become, and then serving as an active duty United States Marine Corps Officer from 2001-2009, modifying the USMC motto of "Semper Fidelis" seemed incredibly apropos.  I am still active in the Marines once a year for a month at a time through the All Armed Forces Women's Soccer Team.
4. Semper Fidelis, Always Faithful, is of paramount importance to me because of my personal spiritual faith in God and Jesus.  This FAITH has been the central key to my survival, success, and growth.
5. Semper Sarah because I strive to always be myself.  Maybe that sounds cliche to some of you, but within an organization like the Marine Corps, in particular, that is a more daunting task for a goofball girl than one might initially think.  Being genuine is the cornerstone of my life philosophy.

super cheese! photo that went on the homepage of http://www.usmc.mil/ in May 2007 for an article about me being the only Marine on the All Armed Forces Womens Soccer Team going to the Military World Games in Hyderabad, India in October of that year

1 comment: