Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Before Groupons There Were "Groupers" 6Sept2005

One of many group style emails I wrote to friends and family while I was deployed.  This one describes a particularly unique event.  Read on to see...

6 September 2005, Tuesday 16:30
I know you all love it when I start off my emails with my work outs (“I don’t know if you heard me counting, but I just did over a thousand!”), but it’s how I start my day, so it just makes sense to me.  So, you ask, what was my workout like?  Well, I got up at 0530 and went for a 4.5 mile run, did some lunges, did some pull ups, did some abs, and then lifted.  Made the 5 minute walk to the showers, took a quick one, and got ready for work. 

Today I mixed things up and made myself my own little McGriddle – 2 pieces of bacon and part of a cheese omelet sandwiched between two min-waffles. After about an hour or two at work, Kate (Hendricks) called and told me she was just down the street at Lakeside.  So, I borrowed the SgtMaj’s truck and drove 10minutes down the road to pick her up.  Brought her back here and showed her my workspace and then we got to sit and chat for a while. 
Then we drove back to Lakeside and had lunch with her little brother, Matt.  The three of us were sitting there talking and Matt goes, “Who would’ve thought that the three of us would be sitting here in Iraq together?”  Each of us started somewhere completely different years ago (Matt at Nebraska, the moved to VMI; Kate in AF ROTC for almost two years at UVA then to Marine Corps ROTC; me in AF ROTC, then the Marines, then waiting for flight school, then Intel school straight to Iraq) yet ended up here together.  Matt just got in country and is on his way to Ramadi.  Kate jumped on a convoy last night just to make it here to see the two of us and will leave again tonight.  It was so great to see her.  Hopefully, I will be able to meet up with her for dinner, too, if I can convince the SgtMaj to give me his vehicle one more time.
 Anyway, as I was walking out of the chow hall and saying my goodbyes to Matt and Kate, I hear a “Hey, didn’t you just finish NAOBIC?”  I turn around and it’s a Captain friend I’d met in VA Beach who was MIOC when I was at AIOC.  I gave him a ride down the street and found out he’ll be requesting our support in the near future and now have a personal contact at his unit…can’t hurt. 
Made my way back to work through the sandstorm (which is still raging) and had a couple emails waiting for me from friends from TBS who are out here now, too.  I was pleasantly surprised to hear from them.  Our missions have been very interesting again today, so that keeps things lively here.  Also, I am in the middle of an investigation that I am actually having a decent time with so far.  In a way it’s fun to do the research on the issue then quasi-interrogate the people involved.   Hey, maybe I should go to law school! ;) Speaking of which, I’ve got some stuff to prepare for the Marines I’m questioning in about a half hour, so I need to go. 
I still haven’t received any packages, but no worries, they’ll be here soon I’m sure.  Gotta get back to work.  Take care everyone! J
Kate&I inside Lakeside chow hall

No comments:

Post a Comment